Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Not Sylvester's Tweety anymore!

Okay, I love twitter. I think it should be used in the classroom, not only by teachers but by students as well. Why? Because people who are not in your classroom are going to have no idea what your students are tweeting about if they aren't there. So what does that mean? Comments on twitter during your class are either directed at other students or you (the teacher) or they are not. You might be thinking that this makes no sense but I like my chances here. I aim to engage my students, so with any luck, their comments are going to be about whatever we are discussing in class. The people who are likely banning social networks in their class likely can't compete. That's okay, that's one style/need. It's just not mine. Furthermore, useful things get said on twitter. Things that would otherwise go unheard. Students are talking to each other without interrupting the rest of the class and, just as important, they are engaging their teachers with questions and comments too. For some twitter looks a lot more appealing than speaking up in class.

Not only do I welcome twitter into my classroom but I think it is a sign of healthy, happy brains. People who are happy and occupied are likely to get their work done. That is part of staying happy and occupied. If you flip it around the other way, cutting students off from social networks during your class is not going to keep them riveted on you anyway. Furthermore, there are no twitter cops out in the real world and students are going to need to balance their use of social networks with their other work demands. Why shouldn't they learn how to do that in school? Do you really think this is not going to be a workplace issue in the future? It seems to me that it is already one now.

No comments:

Post a Comment